Sunday, April 29, 2007

In Praise of Droon

In one of my recent posts, I dismissed Tony Abbott's Droon series as "tooth-grinding." And so it can be, but I have to admit: it contains non-stop action, an endless series of encounters with fearsome and legendary creatures, and no one ever gets hurt! And it has some neat ideas. Somewhere in the old history of the world is a giant tortoise that carries an entire city on his back. The kids travel through various aspects of Droon's past in one book, and they are able to tell about when they are by observing the extent to which the city on the tortoise's back has grown.

I'd do better to emulate what makes his books work than just to wag my finger at them ...

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Steve,

Sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child!!

I'm afraid Erlend needs the taste of cold steel...

As an example, I thought the best part of the adventure when you all were at my house was when my character was on death's doorstep. It added the danger and finality to spice things up and brought out Erlend's nobility.

When I've DMed a very small group, I usually allow the player to run several characters so I can kill them here and there without ruining the arc of the overall adventure. Maybe make an eventual resurrection the goal of a future quest if the character is very treasured or just generate a new character to add to the group otherwise. Or at least kill some NPC friends on a regular basis.

That plus some well thought out campaigns should save the situation.

I hate to think that we need to wait a few more years for Erlend to take up his rightful inheritance!!

Good luck!!
Kyle